Sunday, June 2, 2013

Veggie-Mite

My wife is a vegan. She has been for the past 4 years of so. Before that she was vegetarian way, way before I met her. 

This completely changed my life. I still eat meat but I am way more conscious of what I eat. She has never pressured me to turn but has said she would like it if I did became at least vegetarian but that's a decision I would have to make on my own. 

When we first got married she would cook meat but when she switched from vegetarian to vegan she stopped. That didn't bother me at all, I figured I'd never become vegetarian but at least when she cooked I'd eat vegetarian and I'd eat meat when she wasn't around. I'd still get my protein the old fashion way and would still respect her decision, no biggie. 

Now just to clear things up a little from my end, I've never been a big meat eater. I also hate bacon. Ok, ok settle down dear reader, if I have any readers left after the disgust of me not liking bacon. I also don't like steak, or eating any kind of meat that's attached to any kind of bone. Basically the only meat I do like is ground beef, fish fillets, and at times, boneless chicken. Basically meats that don't look like they've come from any kind of animal. I've always been this way. So my wife was never an influence on any of that. 

Like I said being married to a vegan has changed my outlook on food in general. I still eat fast food but not as much as I used to. I only drink soda at restaurants, other than that its water. My portion sizes are smaller than before. I eat way more vegetables (something my mom loves!). Even the types of dishes has expanded greatly. Before I ate heavy American, Mexican, and Italian dishes. Now I prefer Indian, Pakistani, Afghan, and Thai foods, with a burrito and burger thrown in there for old times sake. 

About 2 years ago I read a book called Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's about factory farming and its effects on humans that consume meat that comes from this type of farming, as well as the effects on the animals themselves and the environment. It talks about the various ways animals are grown and butchered but went super into depths about the lives of chickens. It made such a huge impact that I didn't eat chicken for almost a year. Whenever I tried it would make me nauseated. I eat chicken now but cannot think of what it is I'm eating, I have to consciously think of something else or I have to load it with some kind of sauce so the taste is masked. 

Anyway, the whole point to this blog is because I've been mulling over something for awhile. I've been thinking of cutting out meat from my diet. Just to keep it real, I don't think I can completely, so instead of becoming vegetarian I was thinking what if I became a pescatarian and see how that works out for me. I haven't mentioned this to my wife because I want to make sure its something I really want to do. I figure eating fish will be a bit easier for me since I see how much problems my wife has when she eats out, plus it'll still be some kind of protein that's not from soy, nuts, or legumes.  I'm wondering how its gonna work out for me, if it does at all. I have gone a week here and there with no meat and it honestly isn't that bad. I don't feel any kind of loss in my diet. If anything I feel a bit "lighter" and not so full from eating and just generally better those weeks I don't eat meat. That's just me though. 

I'll give it a bit more thought and decide what to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment