Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Amazing Nephew

Earlier today at work I ran into a coworker. We have a mutual friend who is also the mom of my nephew and Godson. My coworker was on the phone with her and when she found out she wanted to talk to me. As soon as she got on the phone she told me that my nephew was AMAZING! I kinda laughed and asked what happened and she was confused about my reaction. She asked if I heard what he did. I honestly hadn't and I told her that.

She proceeded to tell me that yesterday her son, another boy, and my nephew were playing hacky sack by the school that's across the street. One of them kicked the ball on the other side of a wrought iron fence surrounding the playground. The wrought iron fence is one of those that has the straight poles with the points at the tips. So the other kid climbed over, tossed the hacky sack back to the boys, then started to climb back over. His foot slipped and from what she said is that his leg got impaled by one of the poles and that it went clean through. She said her son and the impaled kid started freaking out and panicking, but not my nephew. He immediately made sure the boy was ok, lifted him off the pole although she's not sure how he managed to do that by himself since her son was panicking and not helping. Then when he freed the boy of the pole, he laid him down, applied pressure on the wound and called 911 on his cell. An ambulance ride, and emergency room visit later the doc said pole was centimeters from an artery but that the kid was ok.

I was completely stunned and amazed. Not only did my nephew not freak out and panic but he reacted and sprung to action to help someone in need. He assessed the situation and weighed out his options to help his friend. Then he knew to put pressure and call 911 to get him the quickest medical help possible. I think this is amazing and very commendable. I am proud and happy to hear how he reacted and that he helped someone. His dream job is to become a paratrooper medic for the Army. If I had any doubts in how he would handle that job then they have been settled. I'm so proud of him and his accomplishments that he's done and that he's so modest about it all. If he does pursue the career he wants I would be honored to know that such a young man is helping to protect and serve our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment